High Tech Rehab Solutions
Our Products

Funding Information

STAP Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I inform you which manufacturer and model device I want on the application?

A. You do not need to decide on either the model or manufacturer of the device that you are requesting when you submit your application.

Vouchers are printed with a general classification of device (amplified telephone, voice activated answering phone, etc.) with a maximum dollar amount value. You are only required to select the category of device that will assist you in using a telephone from the list found in section 2 on the application. For example, an individual with a hearing impairment requires a device that amplifies the incoming volume of their telephone. The device type that is best suited to address their need would be an amplified telephone, or one of the other amplifying devices on the equipment selection list. After you receive a voucher, you can exchange it with a registered vendor for the specific device that you select at that time. (A list of vendors is mailed along with the voucher)

Q. How long before an applicant's 5 year anniversary date can a person reapply?

A. Applicants may apply up to 6 months prior to the applicant's anniversary date. Applicants who apply between 3 months to 6 months prior to their anniversary dates will receive a letter that states when their vouchers will be printed. Applicants who apply 3 months or less prior to their anniversary dates will not receive a letter from DHHS. After the applicant's anniversary date has passed, a voucher will be issued.

Q. Is it possible to get another voucher if I have not used the one I currently have and it has expired?

A. To get a new voucher, send back the old one with a request to reissue it. Use the address that is on the voucher. STAP staff will reprint it and send it back to you with a new expiration date. You will then have another 3 months to use it.

Q. Can I change my mind and have the voucher issued for a different device?

A. Yes, as long as the request to select a different device is put in writing and signed by the applicant and mailed to the STAP office.

Q. What if an applicant receives and exchanges a voucher for a device and then reapplies for another voucher that functions in the same manner as the first device that they received?

(For example can an applicant get an amplified attachment and then ask for an amplified phone? What if an applicant got an amplified phone the first time and then wants another voucher for an amplified phone that has stronger amplification?

A. An individual can get a voucher for a second device only if their disability changes and the first device no longer provides them with adequate telephone access. If this is the case the second application should be certified as the applicant having a change of disability and there must be a statement in writing that explains why the first device is no longer sufficient.

Q. Is an applicant who applies under "change of disability," and indicates that their disability has improved eligible to request a different device?

(For example an individual who is certified as deaf gets a TTY, then is certified as hard of hearing (due to a cochlear implant) and wants an amplified phone.)

A. An individual is not eligible to receive a new device by applying under change of disability if the previous device that they received will still provide them telephone network access. In the example stated above a previous applicant who received a voucher for a TTY can still use the TTY after their change of disability.


- Back to top -